1. What is your project about? What stage or phase is it currently in? What is your current role in your project?
2. Explain how you manage requirements in your project?
3. Where and how do you document your requirements?
4. What and where are the policy statements for requirement management?
5. How do you ensure that you base your software plans, work items and products on the requirement?
6. If during some stage down the life cycle, the initial requirements change, what will you do? How will you handle any changes in the requirements?
7. Who reviews the requirements and the changes to the requirements?
8. Explain the contract review process followed in your project?
9. When requirements change, how do you handle the changes it may lead to project progress and schedule?
10. How do you handle any risk that might arise due to changes in requirements?
11. How do you ensure that you are consistently meeting the requirements during various stages in the life cycle of the software product?
12. How do internal quality audits cover requirements management activities in the project?
13. Who is responsible for managing the requirements in your project?
14. What will you do if you find that you cannot meet the requirements?
15. While doing HLD/LLD/Coding/Testing, how do you know that a specific HLD/LLD component, program code unit, or test case relates to a particular requirement?
Software Quality Assurance
1. What and where are the policy statements that dictate quality assurance in your project?
2. What are the functions of the Quality Assurance Group (QAG)?
3. How are the quality assurance activities planned?
4. What is a non-conformance report (NCR)?
5. When a non-conformance is noted during these "reviews", what happens next?
6. What is External Quality Assurance (EQA) and Final Inspection (FI)?
7. Is the quality assurance group (for the QAG) audited? Who does these audits?
8. How frequently is your project audited? How do you know the result of these audits?
9. What is an internal quality audit? What happens during this audit?
Software Project Planning
1. What is the project management structure in your project? Is a PL assigned to the project?
2. How do you know that a particular individual is the project leader (or) how do you know that you are the Project Leader?
3. What and where are the policy statements for software project planning?
4. Explain the various activities you do (as a PL) when the project is started up.
5. How do you know what you need to deliver or do in your project?
6. How do you create the Software Project Management Plan (SPMP)?
7. What training have you undergone in project planning?
8. How do you ensure that your project plan is available for others to see? Where will you find the plans of other projects executed (in the past or currently) in the center?
9. How did you choose the appropriate lifecycle for your project?
10. What are the documents that you will refer to create the plan?
11. How do you estimate the effort for your project? Where is the estimation procedure documented?
12. What procedures do you follow to arrive at the project schedule?
13. Where and how are the risks associated with your project identified and documented?
14. When you come in to the office, how do you know what you have to do during the day?
15. How do you report the status of your project?
16. How are the team members kept informed about the current status of the project?
17. How do the audits cover planning activities?
18. How does the senior management review your project's progress?
19. How do you track the technical activities in your project? How is the status of the project communicated to the team?
20. How do you track the size or changes to size of the work products in your project?
21. When do revise your project plan? When do you know you have to revise your project plan? Where is the plan revision frequency documented?
22. How do you ensure that you and all the other team members in your project have the required technical skills to execute the project?
23. How do you assign tasks to your team members? ?
24. What is the document that should be consulted to know about your project, the activities you do, your schedules and milestones?
1. What are the different types of joins?
2. Explain normalization with examples.
3. What cursor type do you use to retrieve multiple recordsets?
4. Diffrence between a "where" clause and a "having" clause
5. What is the difference between "procedure" and "function"?
6. How will you copy the structure of a table without copying the data?
7. How to find out the database name from SQL*PLUS command prompt?
8. Tadeoffs with having indexes
9. Talk about "Exception Handling" in PL/SQL?
10. What is the diference between "NULL in C" and "NULL in Oracle?"
11. What is Pro*C? What is OCI?
12. Give some examples of Analytical functions.
13. What is the difference between "translate" and "replace"?
14. What is DYNAMIC SQL method 4?
15. How to remove duplicate records from a table?
16. What is the use of ANALYZing the tables?
17. How to run SQL script from a Unix Shell?
18. What is a "transaction"? Why are they necessary?
19. Explain Normalizationa dn Denormalization with examples.
20. When do you get contraint violtaion? What are the types of constraints?
21. How to convert RAW datatype into TEXT?
22. Difference - Primary Key and Aggregate Key
23. How functional dependency is related to database table design?
24. What is a "trigger"?
25. Why can a "group by" or "order by" clause be expensive to process?
26. What are "HINTS"? What is "index covering" of a query?
27. What is a VIEW? How to get script for a view?
28. What are the Large object types suported by Oracle?
29. What is SQL*Loader?
30. Difference between "VARCHAR" and "VARCHAR2" datatypes.
31. What is the difference among "dropping a table", "truncating a table" and "deleting all records" from a table.
32. Difference between "ORACLE" and "MICROSOFT ACCESS" databases.
33. How to create a database link ?
The World of WWW
1. What is HTTP? Explain its working?
2. What is DNS?
3. Why do I need a domain name like 'OneSmartClick.Com'?
4. What happens when I type in some url and press enter?
5. How does CGI work? Can I use 'C' language to write a CGI?
6. Working of Proxy Server, Cookies, types of cookies?
7. What is Firewall?
8. How to redirect to another page?
9. Some questions on web servers.
10. What is DOM?
11. Connection Pooling in IIS 3.0 and 4.0
12. What is Code Base, Style Sheets?
13. Need for CSS
14. DHTML: Difference between FontSize and Font Size?
15. Layers in TCP/IP
16. Some sites work with "http://sitename.com" but for some sites we need to specify "www" - like "http://www.sitename.com". Why?
17. Explain "URL Encoding",HTML "entity", GET method, POST method
18. If we force XML for web design, the browzer size will reduce. How?
19. How does DTD work?
20. Difference between ASP and DHTML?
21. How to create virtual directory in IIS?
22. Can I host muliple sites on same machine?
1. What is MUTEX ?
2. What isthe difference between a 'thread' and a 'process'?
3. What is INODE?
4. Explain the working of Virtual Memory.
5. How does Windows NT supports Multitasking?
6. Explain the Unix Kernel.
7. What is Concurrency? Expain with example Deadlock and Starvation.
8. What are your solution strategies for "Dining Philosophers Problem" ?
9. Explain Memory Partitioning, Paging, Segmentation.
10. Explain Scheduling.
11. Operating System Security.
12. What is Semaphore?
13. Explain the following file systems : NTFS, Macintosh(HPFS), FAT .
14. What are the different process states?
15. What is Marshalling?
16. Define and explain COM?
17. What is Marshalling?
18. Difference - Loading and Linking ?
Object-Orientation Concepts, UML interview Questions
1. What is inheritance?
2. Difference between Composition and Aggregation.
3. Difference: Sequence Diagrams, Collaboration Diagrams.
4. Difference: 'uses', 'extends', 'includes'
5. What shall I go for Package Diagram?
6. What is Polymorphism?
7. Is class an Object? Is object a class?
8. Comment: C++ "includes" behavior and java "imports"
9. What do you mean by "Realization"?
10. What is a Presistent, Transient Object?
11. What is the use of Operator Overloading?
12. Does UML guarantee project success?
13. Difference: Activity Diagram and Sequence Diagram.
14. What is association?
15. How to resolve many to many relationship?
16. How do you represent static members and abstract classes in Class Diagram?
17. Can we use UML for user interface (UI) design?
18. Every object has : state, behavior and identity - explain
19. How to reverse engineer C++ code in UML?
20. What are the tools you used for OOAD?
21. Difference: Object Oriented Analysis (OOA) and Object Oriented Design (OOD)?
22. What are the four phases of the Unified Process ?
23. How do you convert uses cases into test cases?
24. Explain Class Diagram in Detail.
25. What are the Design Patterns you know.
26. When do you prefer to use composition than aggregation?
27. UML: IS it a process, method or notation?
28. Does a concept HAVE to become a class in Design?
29. What are the good practices to use while designing for reuse?
30. Can you think of some nice examples where *multiple* actors are associated with a use case ?
31. How to use CRC Cards for Class Design?
32. What is the difference between static and dynamic Classificaition.Give some examples.
33. Explian following terms: Constraint Rules, Design by contract.
34. What is Object Constraint Language (OCL)?
35. Difference Between Attribute and Association.
36. What are associative classes?
Networking, Socket Programming, Inter-Process Communication
1. User(s) are complaining of delays when using the network. What would you do?
2. What are some of the problems associated with operating a switched LAN?
3. Name some of the ways of combining TCP/IP traffic and SNA traffic over the same link.
4. What sort of cabling is suitable for Fast Ethernet protocols?
5. What is a Class D IP address?
6. Why do I sometimes lose a server's address when using more than one server?
7. What is Firewall?
8. How do I monitor the activity of sockets?
9. How would I put my socket in non-blocking mode?
10. What are RAW sockets?
11. What is the role of TCP protocol and IP protocol.
12. What is UDP?
13. How can I make my server a daemon?
14. How should I choose a port number for my server?
15. Layers in TCP/IP
16. How can I be sure that a UDP message is received?
17. How to get IP header of a UDP message
18. Writing UDP/SOCK_DGRAM applications
19. How many bytes in an IPX network address?
20. What is the difference between MUTEX and Semaphore?
21. What is priority inversion?
22. Different Solutions to dining philosophers problem.
23. What is a message queue?
24. Questions on Shared Memory.
25. What is DHCP?
26. Working of ping, telnet, gopher.
27. Can I connect two computers to internet using same line ?
1. What is the output of printf("%d")
2. What will happen if I say delete this
3. Difference between "C structure" and "C++ structure".
4. Diffrence between a "assignment operator" and a "copy constructor"
5. What is the difference between "overloading" and "overridding"?
6. Explain the need for "Virtual Destructor".
7. Can we have "Virtual Constructors"?
8. What are the different types of polymorphism?
9. What are Virtual Functions? How to implement virtual functions in "C"
10. What are the different types of Storage classes?
11. What is Namespace?
12. What are the types of STL containers?.
13. Difference between "vector" and "array"?
14. How to write a program such that it will delete itself after exectution?
15. Can we generate a C++ source code from the binary file?
16. What are inline functions?
17. Talk sometiming about profiling?
18. How many lines of code you have written for a single program?
19. What is "strstream" ?
20. How to write Multithreaded applications using C++?
21. Explain "passing by value", "passing by pointer" and "passing by reference"
22. Write any small program that will compile in "C" but not in "C++"
23. Have you heard of "mutable" keyword?
24. What is a "RTTI"?
25. Is there something that I can do in C and not in C++?
26. Why preincrement operator is faster than postincrement?
27. What is the difference between "calloc" and "malloc"?
28. What will happen if I allocate memory using "new" and free it using "free" or allocate sing "calloc" and free it using "delete"?
29. What is Memory Alignment?
30. Explain working of printf.
31. Difference between "printf" and "sprintf".
32. What is "map" in STL?
33. When shall I use Multiple Inheritance?
34. What are the techniques you use for debugging?
35. How to reduce a final size of executable?
36. Give 2 examples of a code optimization.
Java Interview Questions
1. Meaning - Abstract classes, abstract methods
2. Difference - Java,C++
3. Difference between == and equals method
4. Explain Java security model
5. Explain working of Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
6. Difference : Java Beans, Servlets
7. Difference : AWT, Swing
8. Disadvantages of Java
9. What is BYTE Code ?
10. What gives java it's "write once and run anywhere" nature?
11. Does Java have "goto"?
12. What is the meaning of "final" keyword?
13. Can I create final executable from Java?
14. Explain Garbage collection mechanism in Java
15. Why Java is not 100% pure object oriented language?
16. What are interfaces? or How to support multiple inhertance in Java?
17. How to use C++ code in Java Program?
18. Difference between "APPLET" and "APPLICATION"
Visual Basic Interview Questions
1. 3 main differences between flexgrid control and dbgrid control
2. ActiveX and Types of ActiveX Components in VB
3. Advantage of ActiveX Dll over Active Exe
4. Advantages of disconnected recordsets
5. Benefit of wrapping database calls into MTS transactions
6. Benefits of using MTS
7. Can database schema be changed with DAO, RDO or ADO?
8. Can you create a tabletype of recordset in Jet - connected ODBC database engine?
9. Constructors and distructors
10. Controls which do not have events
11. Default property of datacontrol
12. Define the scope of Public, Private, Friend procedures?
13. Describe Database Connection pooling relative to MTS
14. Describe: In of Process vs. Out of Process component. Which is faster?
15. Difference between a function and a subroutine, Dynaset and Snapshot,early and late binding, image and picture controls,Linked Object and Embedded Object,listbox and combo box,Listindex and Tab index,modal and moduless window, Object and Class,Query unload and unload in form, Declaration and Instantiation an object?
16. Draw and explain Sequence Modal of DAO
17. How can objects on different threads communicate with one another?
18. How can you force new objects to be created on new threads?
19. How does a DCOM component know where to instantiate itself?
20. How to register a component?
21. How to set a shortcut key for label?
22. Kind of components can be used as DCOM servers
23. Name of the control used to call a windows application
24. Name the four different cursor and locking types in ADO and describe them briefly
25. Need of zorder method, no of controls in form, Property used to add a menus at runtime, Property used to count number of items in a combobox,resize a label control according to your caption.
26. Return value of callback function, The need of tabindex property
27. Thread pool and management of threads within a thread pool
28. To set the command button for ESC, Which property needs to be changed?
29. Type Library and what is it's purpose?
30. Types of system controls, container objects, combo box
31. Under the ADO Command Object, what collection is responsible for input to stored procedures?
32. VB and Object Oriented Programming
33. What are the ADO objects? Explain them.
34. What are the different compatibility types when we create a COM component?
35. What do ByVal and ByRef mean and which is the default?
36. What does Option Explicit refer to?
37. What does the Implements statement do?
38. What is OLE and DDE? Explain.
39. What is the difference between Msgbox Statement and MsgboxQ function?
40. What keyword is associated with raising system level events in VB?
41. What methods are called from the ObjectContext object to inform MTS that the transaction was successful or unsuccessful?
42. What types of data access have you used.
43. What was introduced to Visual Basic to allow the use of Callback Functions?
44. Which controls can not be placed in MDI?
45. Which controls have refresh method, clear method
46. Which Property is used to compress a image in image control?
47. Which property of menu cannot be set at run time?
48. Which property of textbox cannot be changed at runtime and What's the maximum size of a textbox?
49. Which tool is used to configure the port range and protocols for DCOM communications?